Los Angeles City Open Water Lifeguard
Los Angeles City Open Water Lifeguards are highly trained first responders for the City’s open water facilities. They are the core of the Los Angeles City Lifeguard Association with a mission to promote aquatic safety awareness and professional lifeguard standards
- In order to qualify for a lifeguard position within Los Angeles City Department of Recreation and Parks, you must successfully complete all physical and written exams and training.
- Openings are for part-time and seasonal positions. Information on tryouts can be found at:
- Must be 18 years old by date of hire
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Documented proof of legal right to work in the U.S.
- Successfully complete a competitive 1,000 meter ocean swim in less than 20 minutes
- Pass the qualifying oral interview, held after the swim
- Successfully complete the competitive 84 hour Open Water Lifeguard Training Academy
For questions regarding hiring open water lifeguards, tryout dates or general Los Angeles City Lifeguard information:
Call: Citywide Aquatics- (323) 906-7953
Visit: Los Angeles City Lifeguard Association Home Page:
California Surf Lifesaving Association