The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, (CAL FIRE) is California’s fire department and resource management agency. It serves to safeguard the people and the property and resources of state and offers a variety of career choices and opportunities.
See also: http://calfire.ca.gov/about/about_careers.php
- Seasonal Firefighting Hiring
- Firefighter I is a seasonal, temporary classification used by CAL FIRE. Application period occurs between November and January and hiring occurs between April and June.
- Must file a Firefighter I Application at each CAL FIRE Unit you wish to be considered for appointment. For a listing of CAL FIRE Units, refer to the CAL FIRE Unit Contacts
- Applications will be accepted by mail or in person in the Northern Region.
- Applications will only be accepted on a file-in-person basis for the units in the Southern Region.
- Varies per assignment, most require possession of a valid driver’s license of the appropriate class issued by the DMV
- High school diploma, be 18 years of age
- Willing to extend education into a Fire Science Degree
- Attend a community college Fire Academy
- Become a paid-call or volunteer firefighter
- Highly motivated